What's in a name? It's a post wedding tradition that is still common today - the Bride takes the surname of her new Husband. However, much like many other wedding and marriage traditions, more and more couples are choosing to abandon or change up the tradition (Not to mention this tradition completely leaves out any same sex couples!).
So should you change your last name? Keep it? Hyphenate?
Why to change your name.
- You prefer your Lovers last name.
- You like the tradition.
- You love the idea of sharing your surname with your Lover and your children.
Why to keep your name.
- You love your name.
- You feel as though your name is cemented to your identity, your family, your career or your culture.
- You don't love the tradition.
Why to combine your names or pick an entirely new one.
- You both love your names but also love the idea of sharing a name.
- You love the idea of starting your tradition.
- You both don't feel any particular connection to your last name and love the idea choosing something you both love.
Decided you will change your name? Heres where you may need to make the change!
- Drivers Licence
- Bank accounts, credit cards, investments or shares
- Medicare, Centrelink, ATO
- Car registration
- Insurance policies
- Phone and internet
- Australian Electoral Commission
- Doctor/dentist/health specialists
- Rates and services: water/gas/electricity/solar
- Real Estate and Bond Authority
- Your email signature
- Road toll accounts
- Australian Organ Register
- Memberships & Superannuation
- Personal and work emails - set a redirect if you are getting a new email address
Image by Toumanis Weddings. Book her for your wedding here.